[Neuropostdocs] Student Speaker's Bureau

Gene Robinson generobi at life.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 28 13:27:06 CDT 2005

Dear Faculty and Students,

We are starting a new program, the Student Speaker's Bureau.  The main
purpose of this program is to give our senior students a chance to get some
speaking experience and feel the thrill of presenting their work to an
interested audience.  We also intend to structure the program so that NSP
can reap some recruiting benefits.  For that reason, we'll initiate the
program with students, rather than also including our NSP postdocs.

We are making arrangements with institutions within driving distance of
campus who have primarily or exclusively an undergraduate mission.  We will
ask the institutions that want one of our speakers to also schedule time
(separate from the talk) for students interested in neuroscience graduate
school to hear from our "ambassadors" about neuroscience at Illinois.  We
expect that the host institutions will compensate our students for mileage
and other expenses.

The Executive Committee decided that a good way to ensure that we are best
represented is to have faculty nominate students for this.  Please email a
brief nomination to Sam by 15 November.  Your nomination can be
short--we're basically going to take you at your word that the student you
nominate is ready to represent us at another institution.  If we have many
more nominations than speaking venues we will: 1) immediately try to
increase the number of venues and 2) select the students with the strongest
nominations.

Looking forward to launching this program!

Thanks for your cooperation,
Gene

Gene E. Robinson
G. William Arends Professor of Integrative Biology
Director, Neuroscience Program
Chair, Genomics of Neural and Behavioral Plasticity Theme,
Institute for Genomic Biology
Department of Entomology
University of Illinois
505 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, IL  61801