[Neuropostdocs] Hail and Farewel...almost!

Martha Gillette mgillett at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 30 19:15:45 CDT 2020

Hi, Sam,

The day isn't over for me yet, of course, but in as much as this is a
Special Occasion..."Sam's Day", I am pausing in order to consider the
years of our associations and to send my reflections on this significant
occasion.

Sam, you are a singular human being who recognizes the good and the
possibilities for good in your fellow man and engages her/him to raise
them to a better place. I am confident that this trait permeates all of
your life. From my vantage point, your influences include everyone...the
faculty, like me 18 years ago and Hee and Kai in current times, a long
string of postdocs working on steps to independence, and myriad
students, all of whom hold you in a special lofty place. For many of
them, you are and long will be the essence of the Neuroscience
Experience at Illinois! Iconic!!!

 From the early days, I have regarded you as my good friend and
colleague. As you grew in the NSP, you were my source of information and
insights. It has been my great pleasure to get to know you ever better
in recent years, and to experience your multiple dimensions...from the
ants, to the jogging and shaggy doggies, to the UULC, and then to the
diversity of your roles in the NSP! Your strong moral compass and your
exceptional writing skills truly distinguish you and will be deeply missed.

Thank you for all you have given to to the University and to
Neuroscience. And, thank you for all that you have given to me as I
stepped in as director during  un-easy times. Happily, you will still be
in Morrill Hall studying the ants, in Urbana jogging the byways, and
among friends, singing in the choir. I will look forward to those days
on which our paths again cross.

All the very best,  Martha

--

*Martha U. Gillette*

OFFICES: 2261 Beckman Institute; 618E Morrill Hall
LAB SUITES: 2710 complex & 2510 Beckman Institute; 618, 620, 606 Morrill Hall

MAIL: Dept. of Cell & Developmental Biology, University of Illinois
B107 CLSL, MC-123 601 S. Goodwin Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
O: 217:244-1355 • L: 217:444-4561 • F: 217:333-1648
mgillett at illinois.edu
http://www.life.illinois.edu/clockworks/