[Neuropostdocs] NS breakfasts: next week and beyond

Sarah London slondon at igb.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:13:59 CST 2006

Hi all,

Next week the Neuroscience speaker is William Cullinan from Marquette
University.
(<http://www.marquette.edu/chs/bisc/faculty/rfac_cullinan.html>http://www.marquette.edu/chs/bisc/faculty/rfac_cullinan.html
: "We are particularly interested in understanding the link between stress
and psychiatric illness.")

We will have breakfast at Courier Cafe from 8-9 am.  Please let me know if
you would like to attend.

Further, I have put the speaker list for the remainder of the semester at
the end of this email, along with website links and a summary sentence from
their sites.  I realize everyone is busy, but it would be great if everyone
was willing to sign up for at least one person on this list.  Just let me
know who you would like to meet.

Thanks,
Sarah

March 14                    Charles
Greer                                    Yale
<http://info.med.yale.edu/neurosur/faculty/greer.html>http://info.med.yale.edu/neurosur/faculty/greer.html
http://info.med.yale.edu/neurosur/research/greer/research.html
A major goal of my laboratory is understanding the basic mechanisms that
contribute to the establishment of orderly topographic maps within the CNS,
during both normal development and during regenerative events following
injury or disease. We have been focusing our efforts on the olfactory
system, in part because of the complexity of the map between the olfactory
epithelium and the olfactory bulb.

March 21                    Spring Break

March 28                    Thomas
Cronin                                 Univ. Maryland, Baltimore County
<http://www.mbl.edu/CASSLS/thomas_cronin.htm>http://www.mbl.edu/CASSLS/thomas_cronin.htm
Mantis shrimps (stomatopod crustaceans) possess some of the most unusual
visual systems ever described. These tropical marine invertebrates have up
to 16 different spectral classes of photoreceptors and 8 or more
polarization classes as well. Their eyes may contain thousands of
ommatidia, the sensory units of compound eyes, and are divided into three
regions.

April 4             Ron Frostig                                        UC
Irvine
<http://frostiglab.bio.uci.edu/>http://frostiglab.bio.uci.edu/
Our major research interest is in the field of cortical plasticity.  Our
animal model for studying plasticity is the adult rodent's (rat or mouse)
primary somatosensory cortex.  Our functional imaging technique is known as
intrinsic signal optical imaging.

April 11                       Isaac
Pessah                                      UC Davis
<http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/FACULTY/Pessah.htm>http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/FACULTY/Pessah.htm
molecular mechanism by which environmentally relevant chemical agents
influence calcium-dependent signal transduction mechanisms in muscle and
nerve cells.

April 18                       Donald
Katz                                       Brandeis
<http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/ppl-dk.shtml>http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/ppl-dk.shtml
<http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/res1.shtml>Dynamics of Taste
Between Taste Neurons,
<http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/res4.shtml>Rhythms and Taste Behavior,
<http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/res5.shtml>Experience, Expectation and
Coding, <http://people.brandeis.edu/~dbkatz/res6.shtml>Neural Plasticity
and Taste Learning

April 25                       Yimin
Zou                                           U Chicago
<http://neurobiology.bsd.uchicago.edu/faculty/zou.htm>http://neurobiology.bsd.uchicago.edu/faculty/zou.htm
Molecular mechanisms of axon guidance in development.

April 11                      Peter
Patrylo                                    Southern Illinois U
<http://www.som.siu.edu/physiology/facultybios/patrylo.html>http://www.som.siu.edu/physiology/facultybios/patrylo.html
understand how neuronal structure, function, and connectivity