[Neuropostdocs] Re: [Neuro] 2nd pizza lunch -- Discussion of minority student recruitment and retention

Gene Robinson generobi at life.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 27 12:00:49 CDT 2005

Thanks, Sam.  The lunch series is an important new program for us, likely
to improve who we are and what we do in many ways.  Thanks for your
leadership on this.

Gene

At 10:48 AM 10/27/2005, you wrote:
>Our second in the pizza lunch discussion series was held yesterday.  The
>21 NSP students, postdoc, and faculty in attendance had a vigorous and
>informative discussion of the importance
>of increasing our numbers of minority students, strategies for recruiting,
>and ideas on how to
>make our program attractive to minority students.
>
>This is an important subject, and one that will require more discussion
>and significant effort if
>we are to set goals for the program and achieve them.  The level of
>interest and commitment shown in yesterday's meeting is highly encouraging.
>
>A report on the discussion is attached and will soon be posted on the web
>site.
>
>Samuel Beshers, Ph.D.
>Program Coordinator, Neuroscience and
>Research Associate, Dept of Entomology
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>505 South Goodwin Ave
>Urbana, IL  61801
>217-333-4971

Gene E. Robinson
G. William Arends Professor of Integrative Biology
Director, Neuroscience Program
Chair, Genomics of Neural and Behavioral Plasticity Theme,
Institute for Genomic Biology
Department of Entomology
University of Illinois
505 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, IL  61801