[Neuropostdocs] Special Event: How to write a job application

Christian Beaulé cbeaule at mac.com
Tue Mar 8 22:32:31 CST 2005

Hello everyone!

Some of us have talked for a while already of organizing a special NSP
postdoc seminar on how to successfully write a job application.

This seminar would be aimed at giving us postdocs "insider" tips on how
to make it in the real world (i.e. life after the postdoc).

The format of the event would be a seminar where guests answers the
questions that we have regarding job applications in general. I was
thinking of having 5 guests giving the seminar: 2 junior faculty (one
neuroscience, one CSB) that were recently hired (and thus were
successful in writing a convincing job application), 2 senior faculty
(again, one neuroscience, one CSB) that were part of the search
committees, and one recruiter from the industry (for those who are not
interested by academia).

I'm considering NSP and CSB faculty in an attempt to bridge as many
interests as possible.

Now, I will not be doing this alone. I need to know if there is a
general interest for that kind of event. I will also need a list of
questions that you would like being answered by the invited guests.

I believe that this spring (april-may) would be a great time since it
falls between major NIH grant application deadlines (if I recall
correctly).

Finally, I think that we should all discuss this upcoming event over
drinks and food. If people are interested, we could meet at the Bread
Company (on Goodwin avenue) this friday night (say 7pm) and have a very
social meeting to brainstorm what topics should be covered by this
seminar.

I need to know who is interested and who can make in on friday (or if
there is a better day/time).

I'm hoping to hear from all of you.

Christian