[Neuropostdocs] Summary of Aug 25th meeting

Christian Beaulé cbeaule at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 18:07:24 CDT 2005

Good day everyone,

Here's a summary of today's meeting between the NSPPA (NeuroScience
Program Postdoctoral Association) and Gene Robinson. It was an informal
meeting, mostly to bring everyone up to speed with the issues that
concern postdocs in the NSP program. Although informal, a lot was
discussed and these discussion should be shared among the NSP postdocs,
hence the lengthy e-mail.

Were present:
Dr. Gene E. Robinson: NSP director
Dr. Christian Beaulé: NSPPA president
Dr. Adrienne Moran Lauter: NSPPA treasurer
Dr. Sarah London
Dr. Moushumi sen Sarma
Dr. Francesc Cebria
Dr. Ricardo Zayas

Regrets:
Dr. Helen J. K. Sable
Dr. Jeffrey J. Sable

Topics that are well in progress

1- NSPPA and travel funding:
	The postdoc association is officially registered with the Illini
Union. As such, we can apply for funds that can be used to promote
activities that "will benefit the members of the organization and
support the educational mission of the university". The NSPPA will send
a request for funds for the postdocs who will attend the Society for
Neuroscience Meeting next november.
	I need to know who will attend the SFN meeting so that we can send the
application. You have until September 7th to make yourselves known.
There is no guarantee of whether we will be funded, and we cannot
predict how much money we will receive. Keep that in mind. We have in
mind of at least getting funding to cover registration to the meeting.

2- NSPPA-invited speakers:
	Our two invited speakers have agreed to come for a visit. Dr. Janis
Weeks (Oregon) will be here on October 18th. Dr. Larry Young (Emory)
will be here next year. We will organize Dr. Weeks' visit shortly.

3- NSP retreat:
	The NSP retreat will take place October 2nd at Homer Lake. It was
agreed that the NSPPA will provide "scientific entertainment" in the
form of a datablitz, similar to what was done at last year's retreat.
It will be a 1-2 minute presentation. You will receive more info later.
Please try to attend. Start working on those slides!

4- Journal Club:
	Every speaker that gives a talk during the NSP seminar series goes
through the journal club with the graduate students. The host of the
speaker attends the journal club and acts as a moderator and discussion
leader between the students and the guest speaker. As the host of two
speakers, the NSPPA will participate to the journal club (1-2 postdocs
per session). More info later on this topic.

5- NSPPA seminar during the NSP seminar series:
	There is one seminar spot that has been reserved for a postdoc-only
seminar session. The date is February 7th, 2006. That means that
postdocs will have to give a presentation during that seminar. Even
though last year's datablitz was a success, the feel of those present
today was that more substantial talks would be more appropriate. The
format isn't completely defined yet but 2-3 postdocs would present
during this event. More later.

6- Job application workshop:
	The workshop on how to successfully go through the job search process
is scheduled for this fall. The date is still TBA. We are still looking
for a guest speaker from the industry. The following faculties have
agreed to participate: Dr. Stephanie Ceman, Dr. Martha U. Gillette, Dr.
Joshua Gulley, Dr. Phil Newmark, Dr. Gene E. Robinson.

7- Breakfast with speakers:
	They will occur again this year. I encourage many to participate.
First breakfast will be September 6th. An announcement will be made
later.

8- Yearly elections:
	It was agreed that every year, there would be a chance for a change in
the leadership of the NSPPA. Both president and treasurer would be
allowed to step down if they desire and anyone interested in the
leadership would be allowed to get involved. This would occur in the
spring, towards the end of the semester.

Topics that need further discussion:

Several topics were put forward to increase the participation of the
NSPPA within the NSP program. These will need further discussion among
postdocs and between postdocs and faculty/graduate students.

9- Closer collaboration with the graduate student association:
	The NSP graduate student are very dynamic and both associations would
benefit from a closer collaboration in the organization of events. This
one is obvious and easy.

10- Job talks practice:
	For the postdocs who will soon do their job talks, it was proposed
that practice talks be performed in front of NSP faculty, postdocs, and
students instead of just in from of one's own lab members. An ideal way
of getting external feedback. Postdocs approaching this step in their
academic career should consider sending an invitation.

11- Participation to journal club:
	Any postdocs that would want to participate to the journal club
instead of the regular host faculty should contact the host and ask if
this would be a possibility. This will be done on an "interest basis".

12- Guest lecturer:
	It was proposed that interested postdocs be allowed to teach one guest
lecture. The lecture could be during one's advisor regular course or
not. If your advisor is teaching, you could ask them if they would
allow you to give one of their lectures. If there is a course that
particularly interests you, you could contact the instructor and
propose your expertise. It is understood that proper course preparation
is in order. This could be an excellent way of getting some teaching
experience.

13- Campus-wide postdoctoral association:
	As far as we can tell, the NSPPA is the only postdoctoral association
on campus, or at least, the only organized one. It was proposed to
contact other departments and programs and inquire if their postdocs
are organized. It was then proposed to start dialogue between all
postdocs on campus to see if there is a general desire for a formal
postdoctoral association. This will lead to discussions between
postdocs, interested faculty and UIUC officials to determine the
feasibility of the creation of a campus postdoctoral office. Issues
regarding guidance, health care benefits, integration of international
postdocs would be handled through this office. Obviously this is a long
term project that will require significant commitment. More on this
later.

This concludes today's "minutes of the meeting". If I have forgotten
anything, I trust that the other participants will jump in and add
clarifications.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions,

Christian