[Neuropostdocs] new development

Gene Robinson generobi@life.uiuc.edu
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:07:31 -0500

I am pleased to tell you that Dr. Sam Beshers has accepted our offer to
become Program Coordinator for NSP.  This is a newly created position that
coincides with Joan Cornell being reassigned to other duties by the School
of Molecular and Cellular Biology office.  Sam will assume the duties that
Joan performed and also provide additional programmatic support, including
helping with the development of training grant proposals and exploring
other avenues of student support, and providing some oversight on
course-related activities for students.  The Executive Committee discussed
the issue and decided that we wish to experiment with this new approach and
fill our support position with someone with a scientific background
relevant to our goals.

Prior to accepting this position, Sam has worked at UIUC as a researcher
and as a Visiting Lecturer teaching various courses including Introductory
Biology, Animal Behavior and Entomology.  Sam's research interests are in
the area of neurobiology and behavior, in particular the modeling of
systems of ant division of labor from a complex systems perspective.

Joan was assigned to NSP half-time, and Sam will also work for NSP on a
half-time basis.  The Neuroscience Program will continue to be under
general administrative oversight from the School of Molecular and Cellular
Biology office with the same flow of paperwork, appointments, and budgetary
procedures.  The office, however, will move to 318B Morrill Hall, Sam's
current office, just a few doors down from 393.  Signs will soon be
installed to make it easy to locate this room.  Office hours for NSP will
be 1-5 PM Monday-Friday.

Joan has served our program with enthusiasm and interest for 3 years and we
thank her for all that she has done.  She and Chris Smith have graciously
agreed to spend time with Sam to make the transition as smoothly as possible.

We welcome Sam to NSP and look forward to his contributions!

Sam can be reached at: beshers@life.uiuc.edu and 333-4971.

Gene

Gene E. Robinson
Professor, Department of Entomology