[Neuropostdocs] Neuroscience Open House

anastasio thomas j tja@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:39:23 -0600 (CST)

Dear Neuroscience Program Members --

The Neuroscience Program needs your active involvement.  Our main event
each year is the NSP Open House, and it would be great if every NSP member
could attend NSP Open House.  Of course, we realize that you are all
extremely busy, and the last thing you need is another demand on your
time.  But we make this demand because your involvement in NSP Open House
is critical to the success of the Program.

If you have not do so yet, please contact Joan Cornell and let her know if
you will attend NSP Open House.  Let her know if you will attend the dinner
on Saturday night March 2 at Levis and what you would like to eat (tuna,
beef, or a large mushroom :)  Let Joan know if there are any student
visitors that you would like to interview.   We strongly encourage you to
submit an abstract to Elissa Chesler by the deadline of Friday, February 22
(tomorrow), and to plan to give a poster at the poster session at Beckman
on Saterday afternoon March 2.

I append a message with further details.  Please get involved!

Tom Anastasio

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

NEUROSCIENCE OPEN HOUSE SCHEDULE

Friday, March 1

	6:00 -- 8:30pm		Informal party, 4th floor Levis,
				with soup/sandwich/beer/soda.

Saturday, March 2

	8:30 -- 9:30am		Continental breakfast at Beckman.

	9:30am -- noon		Campus and lab tours.

	noon -- 1pm		Return to Beckman, box lunch.

	1pm -- 2pm		Prospective NSP students meet with
				Profs. Robinson and Iwamoto.

	2pm -- 6pm		Poster session and interviews with
				prospective NSP students, coffee.

	6pm -- 7pm		Cash bar, 3rd floor Levis.

	7pm -- 8:30pm		Formal dinner at Levis.

	8:30pm -- 10pm		After-dinner talk by
				Prof. Martha Gillette
				"A Day in the Life of the
				Supra-Chiasmatic Nucleus".

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ALL ATTENDEES

If you would like to attend NSP Open House then please inform
Joan Cornell <jcornell@life.uiuc.edu>.  Joan will keep a running
count of attendees, for the purpose of planning meals and other
functions.  Joan will also provide nametags and information
packets for all attendees.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ABSTRACTS AND POSTERS

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of NSP Open House for NSP
members is the poster session, which will be held this year in the
Beckman west atrium on the afternoon of Saturday, March 2.  The
poster session is a great way for NSP faculty and students to get
updated on what their colleagues are doing in other labs.  The
most critical aspect of the poster session is that it provides
immediate, random-access information to prospective students
who need to know what is going on in our labs.  We would like to
encourage each NSP lab to present a poster at the poster session,
and multiple posters from the same lab are welcome.

To include a poster in the session it is necessary to submit an
abstract to Elissa Chesler <echesler@s.psych.uiuc.edu> by
Friday, February 22.  The abstracts should be Word
documents, or text, and should be PC-compatible.  Include the
title, authors (use an * to highlight the presenting author),
Department or Program affiliation, and abstract text.  Please limit
abstract text to one page or less.  Abstracts and posters from
previous conferences are acceptable.  General posters describing
the themes and projects occurring in the lab are encouraged.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

FACULTY/PORSPECTIVE INTERVIEWS

Open House is a time not only for the prospective students to
gather information about us but also for us to get to know them.
All NSP faculty, even those not actively seeking students, are
encouraged to hold interviews with prospective students.
Faculty/prospective interviews will take place during the poster
session on the afternoon of Saturday, March 2, at tables in the east
atrium of Beckman.  The poster area in the west atrium will serve
as a contact place.  Each interview will last for about 15 or 20
minutes, depending upon scheduling.

Please contact Joan Cornell <jcornell@life.uiuc.edu> if you are
interested in interviewing prospective students.  Joan will prepare
individualized interview schedules for all prospective students,
and for all NSP faculty who agree to do interviews.  Please let
Joan know if you are interested in interviewing any particular
prospective students.  Prior information on prospective students
can be obtained from the Admissions Committee through Gary
Iwamoto <iwamoto@uiuc.edu>.  Your impressions of the
prospective students will be of value to the Admissions
Committee.  Please contact Gary to give your post-interview
impression of prospective students.