[Neuropostdocs] Update

Gene Robinson generobi@life.uiuc.edu
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:45:04 -0500

--=====================_1729737420==_.ALT

Dear Faculty, Students and Postdocs,

I hope you had a productive and refreshing summer (Yes, it's
over.).  Here's an update on activity in NSP. Committee assignments for
'02-03 in separate email.

1. New student orientation
This event was very well received last year so will be continued.  It will
be held over lunch, Friday, 23 August.  Sam, members of the Big Brain Club
and I will meet with the new students.

2. NSP Retreat
Speaking of an event, here's one not to miss: The Second Annual NSP
Retreat.  Last year's event was a lot of fun and this year promises to be
even more so.  Once again Graham Huesmann is chairing the retreat, aided
ably by other members of the Big Brain Club.  The retreat will be held
again at the gorgeous Outdoor Recreation Center, Salt Fork River Forest
Preserve, Homer Lake, Illinois on Sunday, September 22nd, Noon - 10
PM.  Please support our students' efforts and come on out.  Graham has
emailed you with some details and more are forthcoming.

3. Neuro 400
  As you may recall, the NSP faculty voted last spring to change a student
obligation.  We eliminated the practice of pre-qual students writing essays
on topics related to the regularly scheduled seminars and instead are
setting up a journal club to provide an early, group, experience that
provides 1st and 2nd year students with an introduction to some of our
faculty.  Students will still sign up for the seminar series, so this new
offering will get a new number, tentatively Neuro 400.   Neuro 400 will be
offered every fall semester and the plan is for students to take it during
their first two (and hopefully only) two pre-qual years.  At our town
meeting the suggestion was made that we somehow tie Neuro 400 to our
seminar program, and I am trying to set something up along those
lines.  Responses from seminar speaker hosts are coming in very positive,
so things are looking good to proceed in this way.  Neuro 400 is
tentatively scheduled this fall for Tuesdays 2:30-3:30.

4. Journal clubs
I wish to note and encourage a very positive development that is occurring
in the neuroscience community on campus: More journal clubs!
The neuroethology journal club meets Wed nights at 9.  It is being
coordinated by Liudmila Yafremava (Luda)Liudmila@spine.npa.uiuc.edu
Akira Chiba is organizing a journal club for this semester on new
techniques to study molecular aspects of neuroscience.
The more the merrier; if others are planned or already ongoing, please let
me know.  At the least a complete list of these kinds of activities would
be helpful for training grant proposals...

5. Training grant proposals
We were delighted to learn last year that the Developmental Psychobiology &
Neuroscience Training Grant, Bill Greenough, PI, was awarded continuing
funding, and with accolades from NIH for the post-training grant
achievements of its trainees.  Congratulations, Bill!  Meanwhile, Rhanor
Gillette just submitted a renewal of the Systems and Integrative Biology
Training Grant that he serves as PI for; good luck, Rhanor.  Both of these
training grants routinely provide support for NSP students and postdocs.  I
am happy to report that there are plans for at least 2-3 more submissions
this year.  If you are interested in developing a training grant proposal,
please let me know.  Our new program coordinator Dr. Sam Beshers and Paul
Gold's office are developing a database to facilitate such submissions.

6. New program coordinator
As many of you know, Dr. Sam Beshers assumed duties this summer as program
coordinator.  He is bringing great energy, interest, and organizational
expertise to this position.  If you haven't met him yet, I'm sure you'll
have the opportunity to do so at a seminar or another NSP event soon.

7. NSP at SFN
Rhanor Gillette and Janice Juraska are organizing a reception for NSP
members, past and present, at this year's SFN meeting.  Hold this time:
Tues, Nov 5, 9-11 PM.  The room is in the Rosen Center, Salon 13/14 and
more details will follow.

8. Corporate ties
Jennifer Eardley, Assoc Dir Cor Relations-Biotech Initiative has organized
an "Abbot University Day" to promote ties between that company and our
campus.  David Clayton has kindly agreed to represent NSP at this
event.  Although the times have changed a bit since a few years ago, if any
of you have ideas for possible corporate support for graduate fellowships
etc., please let me know and I would be happy to communicate the
information to Jennifer.

Happy New School Year,
Gene

Gene E. Robinson
Professor, Department of Entomology
Director, Neuroscience Program
University of Illinois
505 S. Goodwin Ave.
Urbana, IL  61801
Tel. 217-265-0309
Fax 217-244-3499
Website: http://www.life.uiuc.edu/robinson/

[...]

We were delighted to learn last year that the Developmental Psychobiology & Neuroscience Training Grant, Bill Greenough, PI, was awarded continuing funding, and with accolades from NIH for the post-training grant achievements of its trainees.  Congratulations, Bill!  Meanwhile, Rhanor Gillette just submitted a renewal of the Systems and Integrative Biology Training Grant that he serves as PI for; good luck, Rhanor.  Both of these training grants routinely provide support for NSP students and postdocs.  I am happy to report that there are plans for at least 2-3 more submissions this year.  If you are interested in developing a training grant proposal, please let me know.  Our new program coordinator Dr. Sam Beshers and Paul Gold's office are developing a database to facilitate such=20 submissions.