[Sib_seminars] SEMINAR THUR DEC 9 10:00 B102 CLSL

Debbie Lanter dlanter at life.illinois.edu
Wed Dec 8 11:52:06 CST 2010

*Thursday, December 9

SIB - VERTEBRATE ECOLOGICAL PHYSIOLOGIST SEARCH CANDIDATE
10:00 AM - B 102 CLSL
"Acoustic Communication in Multi-source Social Environments"
Mark Allen Bee, University of Minnesota

Abstract
*

Humans and other animals often communicate using acoustic signals in
large or dense social groups comprising multiple sound sources (e.g., a
crowded restaurant, a breeding colony, a communal roost, or a chorus).
In these multi-source social environments, receivers experience greater
difficulty hearing signals of interest due to the auditory masking and
acoustic interference produced by high background noise levels and the
overlapping signals of other nearby individuals. This so-called
"cocktail party problem" is of widespread interest, in part, because
prosthetic hearing devices for hearing-impaired humans and computer
algorithms for automated speech recognition often perform poorly under
multi-source listening conditions when compared to healthy human
auditory systems. While there is a vast literature on these topics
pertaining to human hearing and speech communication, surprisingly few
studies have investigated how nonhuman animals may be adapted to solve
similar communication problems. In this talk, I will describe ongoing
work in my lab aimed at testing hypotheses about behavioral and
perceptual mechanism that allow gray treefrogs (/Hyla chrysoscelis/) to
communicate in noisy breeding choruses. After outlining several
functional constraints posed by communicating in a chorus, I will report
results from recent behavioral experiments aimed at uncovering how
receivers may be adapted to cope with these constraints. Throughout the
talk, I will attempt to illustrate how broad-scale, comparative studies
of humans and other animals may ultimately reveal an evolutionary
diversity of underlying mechanisms for solving cocktail-party-like
problems of communication.

--

Debbie Lanter
Office Administrator