[Neuropostdocs] Talks Series - Social and Emotion Dimensions of Well Being, beginning Jan. 23, 2018

Pregent, Stephanie Ann spregent at illinois.edu
Fri Jan 19 14:46:06 CST 2018

Dear all:
I hope that you've had a great start of the semester. Just wanted to draw your attention to a few events of possible interest. As some of you may know (if so, sorry for redundancy due to cross-posting), we are organizing an upcoming talk series as part of the new Beckman Institute Research Initiative that I am leading - "Social and Emotional dimensions of Well-being (SEW)" - see here for details:
<https://beckman.illinois.edu/research/themes/intelligent-systems/social-emotional-well-being>
https://beckman.illinois.edu/research/themes/intelligent-systems/social-emotional-well-being

What, When, & Where: The talks series will be kicked off by a mini-symposium (Jan. 23, at 2:00-4:00pm), followed by a reception (4-5pm). Also, to facilitate students' participation we have an associated course (Psyc 496-FD) that graduate and undergraduate students can enroll in for credits. All events on Tuesday and then the talks/classes for the rest of the semester will be held at the Beckman Institute, in 3269, which is the 3rd floor tower meeting room.

Presenters: Please find below the list of presenters for Tuesday and the speakers for the rest of the semester. I am very excited that various areas related to well-being are represented by UIUC researchers. We will also have a couple of external speakers (Tim Strauman, Duke University & Amishi Jha, University of Florida), and I hope to hear soon from couple more (Barbara Fredrickson, UNC, and John Cacioppo, U. Chicago) for this semester; it is also very likely to bring Ed Diener, in the future, but it was not possible this Spring.

Please feel free to share the details regarding our Symposium & Talk Series, along with the associated Course to anyone potentially interested in attending/enrolling. Many thanks and I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible, on every Tuesday of this semester!

All best,
Florin

Symposium Blitz Speakers (Jan. 23, 2:00-4:00pm):
1. Joe Cohen (Psychology): "Adolescent Depression: Trauma-Informed and Translational Perspectives"
2. Florin Dolcos (Psychology): "Factors Influencing Emotional Well-being: A Brain-Personality-Symptom Approach"
3. Roxana Girju (Linguistics): "Affective Text: Understanding and Modeling Emotions in Healthcare and Social Media"
4. Rosalba Hernandez (Social Work): "Don't Worry, Be Happy: The Link between Psychological Well-being and Heart Health"
5. Fatima Husain (Speech & Hearing): "Cognitive Control of Emotion in Tinnitus"
6. Leanne Knobloch (Communication): "Relational Turbulence and Health During Times of Transition within Families"
7. Heidemarie Laurent (Psychology): "Mindfulness and Stress Regulation in Close Relationships"
8. Nancy McElwain (Human Development & Family Studies): "Early Parent-Child Interactions as an 'Engine' of Social-Emotional Development"
9. Jennifer Robbennolt (Law; Psychology): "SEW in Law: Amends in Armed Conflict and Thriving in Law School"
10. Karen Rudolph (Psychology): "The Costs and Benefits of Caring: Trade-offs of Neural Sensitivity to Social Cues for Socioemotional Health in Adolescent Girls"
11: Sharon Shavitt (Business Administration): "Captivated by Change: Powerlessness as a Psychological Driver of Receptivity to Change Appeals"
12. Mike Yao (Communication): "Me, Virtual "Me", Technology-mediated "Me", and Data-constructed "Me": Identity Management and Authenticity in a Hybrid Reality"

Full Talks (Tuesdays, 2:00-3:15):
Date    Confirmed Speakers
23-Jan     Symposium (see above)
30-Jan     Florin Dolcos (Psychology)
6-Feb      Rosalba Hernandez (Social Work)
13-Feb    Open - TBA
20-Feb    Roxana Girju (Linguistics)
27-Feb    Fatima Husain (Speech & Hearing)
6-Mar      Leanne Knobloch (Communication)
13-Mar    Heidemarie Laurent (Psychology)
20-Mar    No Talk (Spring Break)
27-Mar    No Talk (CNS Conference)
3-Apr      Karen Rudolph (Psychology)
10-Apr    Open - TBA
17-Apr    Tim Strauman (Duke University)
24-Apr    Amishi Jha (University of Florida)
1-May     Open - TBA

Course Details:
PSYC 496-FD/FD2; CRN: 65471/65785
See here for more details (2nd course listed, from the top):
https://ui2web1.apps.uillinois.edu/BANPROD1/bwckctlg.p_disp_listcrse?term_in=120181&subj_in=PSYC&crse_in=496&schd_in=LCD

---

Stephanie Pregent
Business Administrative Associate
Neuroscience Program | Beckman Institute
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Office:  217-244-9838 | Cell:  217-766-4780 | Fax: 217-333-2922

Research Support
IKIDS Research | Beckman Institute
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign