[Neuropostdocs] Student / Postdoc Workshop on Preparing for Faculty Careers

Pregent, Stephanie Ann spregent at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 2 10:43:55 CDT 2016

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D1BCBB.A8654390]

Each summer, the Graduate College Career Development Office offers the Faculty Job Search Retreat<http://www.grad.illinois.edu/FacultyJobSearch2016>, a special half-day event for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars preparing for the academic job market. The retreat can be a great first step in the faculty job search, getting attendees ready to produce strong applications that they can then discuss and revise with faculty in their fields.

This year's retreat will be held on Tuesday, July 19, from 12:30pm-5pm in the Illini Union. (Registration is required.) The program will include:

*         An overview of the faculty job search process

*         "Behind the Scenes with a Search Committee," a panel with faculty from a range of fields and institutions

*         A hands-on activity on preparing effective application materials

*         Sessions on writing research statements and teaching philosophies

The full schedule and registration link can be found here<http://www.grad.illinois.edu/FacultyJobSearch2016>.

I am attaching a digital copy of the Faculty Job Search Retreat 2016 poster that you can share with students in your program. If you would like a hard copy of the poster to hang in your department, please let me know.

If students are not able to attend the retreat, they should know that we will also be offering workshops on CVs, cover letters, research statements, and faculty interviewing in the Fall. They should keep an eye on GradLinks for details at the end of the summer. Students can always access the comprehensive materials<http://www.grad.illinois.edu/careers/faculty> on our website.

Best regards,
Alexis

Alexis Thompson, PhD
Assistant Dean, Graduate Student Development and Postdoctoral Affairs
Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Stephanie Pregent
Academic / Administrative Support
Office:  217-244-9838 | Cell:  217-766-4780 | Fax: 217-333-2922
Neuroscience Program | Beckman Institute
IKIDS Research | Beckman Institute
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign