[Neuropostdocs] Microscopy techniques

Matt McNeill mcneill at life.illinois.edu
Thu May 31 12:42:28 CDT 2012

Good afternoon -

I am looking at z-stacks of whole tissues captured using confocal
microscopy, and I am very concerned about separating out tissue
autofluorescence and normalizing signal intensity across every z-plain. The
IGB microscopy core recommended looking at spectral imaging with linear
unmixing (
http://zeiss-campus.magnet.fsu.edu/tutorials/spectralimaging/linearunmixing/index.html)
which is present on the local Zeiss LSM 710 confocal microscope, but they
said it would take some methods development. Does anyone have any
experience with this method that they would be willing to share? Really, I
am looking for two things: 1) will this get me what I am looking for, and
2) if you know how to do it, would you have a few minutes to go through the
pitfalls of this technique.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Matt McNeill