[Neuropostdocs] Workshop: Introduction to Ethical Theory -- March 9

Samuel Beshers beshers at life.uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 2 16:37:20 CST 2006

There will be a workshop on "An Introduction to Ethical Theory" from 6:00 -
9:00 PM on Thursday, March 9,
in Beckman 1215.  This is primarily directed at students in the
Neuroscience Program, but postdocs are welcome as long as
there is room (maximum attendance of 30).   RSVP to me if you plan to
attend.  For NSP students, this does contribute to
meeting the program requirement for training in ethics.

In scientific practice, medicine, and life in general, we are constantly
called on to make decisions that affect the lives of
others.  Most of us are accustomed to making such decisions, and want to
make them well.  But novel situations
frequently arise where the correct, or best, decision is by no means
obvious.  How should we decide in such
situations?  How do we choose the best course of action?   How can we think
about and recognize what choices, or courses
of action, are possible?  What will be the consequences of our
decisions?  Can we be consistent in our choices, or must
our decisions be arbitrary?

Ethical theory is the study of these and many other related questions, and
is an attempt to define guidelines to help in
sound decision making.  The purpose of this workshop is to introduce you to
ethical theory, in the hope that it will deepen
your appreciation of ethics in research and medicine, and in the rest of
your life as well, and will prepare you to make
better decisions in the difficult circumstances that you will inevitably
encounter.

Samuel N. Beshers, Ph.D.
Neuroscience Program Coordinator
Research Associate, Department of Entomology
505 South Goodwin Ave
Urbana, IL  61801
217-333-4971
beshers at life.uiuc.edu