[Neuropostdocs] various items

Sarah London slondon at igb.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 20 07:48:24 CDT 2006

Hi everyone,

There are several things coming up in the near future:

1.  Brain Awareness Day is THIS Sunday, the 23rd.  The booth we are in
charge of is basically a comparative neuroanatomy booth.  We have brains
from a variety of animals (including human thanks to Eve Gallman) a couple
of scopes, a brain/animal cute quiz, etc.  We really need some volunteers
to help with the booth.  If I could get two people to volunteer for the 1-3
pm slot and two for the 3-5pm slot, we would be set.  Please don't make me
beg- it is embarrassing for everyone.

2.  As Ricardo's email said, the votes are in and Steve Goldman is our top
choice.  We will default to go in the order of vote ranks to invite (go
democracy!), but it occurred to Ricardo and I that neither of us had heard
Steve speak before and we had had some disappointing speakers in the
past.  I would like to start the invitation process ASAP, but if anyone
knows anything about the top 4 vote-getters as speakers (good/bad
presentation, jerky, unreliable, etc), please give me a heads up.  We all
know good scientists are not always good speaker choices...

3.  Breakfast.  Next Tuesday. April 24. The speaker is Yimin Zou who
studies developmental axon guidance
(<http://neurobiology.bsd.uchicago.edu/faculty/zou.htm>http://neurobiology.bsd.uchicago.edu/faculty/zou.htm).
This week was fun- please let me know if you can make it next week.  Same
place (Courier Cafe) and as far as I know, we are back to our regular time
(8-9am).

4.  Money money mon-ney.  SfN has postdoctoral fellowships for travel to
the meeting.  Last year Christian got this dough.  We should try to do this
again.  Applications go through our local chapter; I have emailed the head
(Richard Kollmar) to see when they need the applications- the deadline for
the chapter to submit nominees is May 31 so it will be before then.  You
can check out the website: <http://www.sfn.org/ptta>www.sfn.org/ptta and I
will let you know when I get more information, too.

And done.

Thanks!
Sarah