[Neuropostdocs] Big 10 Conference -- next weekend (May 20-22)

Sam Beshers beshers at life.uiuc.edu
Tue May 10 16:38:05 CDT 2005

Dear NSP postdocs:

Plan now to participate the Big 10 Conference!

WHEN:  May 20-22

WHERE:   Here.  We are hosting the meeting at UIUC, in the
Illinois St. Residence Halls

WHAT:
The Big 10 Conference is an outgrowth of our participation in the Carnegie
Initiative on the Doctorate (CID), and is a result of the enthusiasm
generated by the CID, particularly among graduate students.  This
conference is a gathering of students, postdocs, and faculty from here and
other neuroscience programs for focused discussion, in the spirit of the
Carnegie Initiative on the Doctorate (CID), on the current state of
doctoral education and how it can be improved.  We currently have nearly 40
visitors signed up to attend.

It is essential that we have a good group from UIUC participate!  We want
to make our visitors welcome, show off our program, and take advantage of
their presence for this meeting.  The time will be well spent:  there will
be interesting (and probably intense) discussions, poster sessions (bring
your poster from SfN!) , and two invited presentations on careers and
career skills.  This will be a great way to gain perspective on our program
and on your own graduate studies and where they will lead you.

Tomorrow I will be posting more information on the web site, including
details of the schedule and registration information.

Samuel Beshers, Ph.D.
Program Coordinator, Neuroscience and
Research Associate, Dept of Entomology
505 South Goodwin Ave