[Neuropostdocs] Travel Fellowships

Christian Beaulé cbeaule at mac.com
Tue Mar 15 19:35:47 CST 2005

Dr. Gold (Neuroscience Program Interim Director)
Dr. Beshers (Neuroscience Program Coordinator)

I would like to know if you would be interested in discussing the
possibility that the Neuroscience Program would offer travel
fellowships for the members of the NSP postdoctoral association. As I
understand it, every NSP graduate students is allowed a once a year
travel fellowship when attending a recognized scientific conference.

As you are well aware, many postdoctoral research associates are
without fellowships, or are with fellowships that do not provide a
travel allowance. The costs associated with the participation to a
scientific conference becomes the burden of the advisor and/or
postdoctoral research associate. As far as I know, postdoctoral
research associates fall in the gray area between graduate students and
faculty with respect to departmental travel allowances. Both the
advisors and the postdoctoral research associates would benefit from
such travel fellowships.

I would greatly appreciate hearing your opinions on this topic.

Sincerely,

Christian Beaulé
Coordinator of NSP Postdoctoral Association

Christian Beaulé, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Cell and Structural Biology
B107 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory MC-123
601 South Goodwin Avenue
Urbana, IL, 61801. USA
Work Phone: (217) 244-1842
Work Fax: (217) 333-4651