[Neuropostdocs] Breakfast with P. Bergethon

Christian Beaulé cbeaule at mac.com
Thu Jan 27 11:28:16 CST 2005

Good morning!

It's the start of a new semester and that means a new series of
Neuroscience Program Seminars. And with these seminars come the
breakfast with the speakers.

Next week's speaker is Peter Bergethon, from the New England Medical
Center. He is also part of the Carnegie Initiative on the Doctorate
(CID), which aims to improve doctoral training. The NSP program at UIUC
is one of these participants. His seminar title is: "Principia
Neurologica: Progress towards a Mechanics of the Mind"

This is a unique opportunity for postdocs to voice any suggestions that
they have to help improve the doctoral degrees offered not only at the
UIUC, but also in other universities as well. But wait, we're no longer
students, why should we care about the doctoral program, you'll ask?
Well, for one, make sure that ANY doctoral training uses the resources
offered by the postdocs in their department. We are in an ideal
situation to offer mentorship, advice and guidance to the students (and
we all do). It would be interesting if those contributions were
formally integrated into doctoral programs.

If you feel like me that postdocs could contribute to the CID, please
come for breakfast with the speaker on tuesday, Feb 1st, from
08:00-09:15 at Courier Café in Urbana. Plus, I think the title of his
talk is really cool so it's another reason to join!

Let me know if you are interested,

Christian