[Neuropostdocs] NSP retreat-Datablitz

Christian Beaulé cbeaule at mac.com
Thu Aug 12 13:30:07 CDT 2004

Hello fellow postdocs,

You've already received Lily's e-mail announcing the annual NSP retreat
on september 25th. Some of us have already discussed the idea of ALL
the NSP postdocs doing a small slide show, or datablitz, during the
retreat. The format of the presentations would be as follow: 1 slide-
1minute. Everyone has enough data for a 1 minute presentation. For
those of us who just got here, you have a whole Ph.D. thesis full of
data that you can use. No excuses for anyone :-)))

There are several reasons why I think we should do this.

1- It's fun! These presentation are totally informal and the fun is to
see who can fit their talk within exactly one minute.
2- It's a great opportunity to get to know your fellow postdocs.
Personally, I would think that this is the reason #1 for doing the
datablitz. According to the list of postdocs on this e-mail list, there
are 23 of us in the Neuroscience program. Well, I believe that I know
only 10-15 of these names. If I'm correct, it's the same for most, if
not all of you. And to push it further, I'm pretty sure that the NSP
faculty and the graduate students have no real idea of who we are as
well! This is an ideal tribune to present ourselves to the rest of the
NSP program (postdocs, faculty, graduate students).
3- There's always beer and other drinks, what else do we need?

Gene Robinson is kind enough to allow the Postdocs to participate and
contribute to the NSP program. It's up to us to do it. We have already
invited 2 speakers. I believe that we can do more and the Datablitz is
another way we can contribute, in a fun way.

I will be attending the organizational meeting for the retreat next
tuesday at Expresso Royale. Please come if you can/want. If you have
suggestions, feel free to e-mail me.

So start working on your slide, we'll figure a way to bring everything
together on one laptop at a later date.

Christian