[Neuropostdocs] RE: Carnegie Foundation Press Release

Herman, Richard rhh@uiuc.edu
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:07:56 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C37BE6.94F7ACE0

Gene,
    Full marks to you and your colleagues.
                                Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Robinson [mailto:generobi@life.uiuc.edu]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 2:49 PM
To: NSPFAC@life.uiuc.edu; neuropostdocs@life.uiuc.edu; NSPSTU@life.uiuc.edu
Cc: j-delia@uiuc.edu; rhh@uiuc.edu
Subject: Carnegie Foundation Press Release

Exciting news!  We were chosen by the Carnegie Foundation to participate in
an initiative that explores innovation in doctoral training in several
disciplines, including neuroscience.  We will soon assemble a group to
spearhead this effort on our campus and forge ties with the other groups and
the Carnegie Foundation.  The Provost was pleased to hear that we were
selected and is giving us extra funding this year to use towards this
effort, in addition to travel support that Carnegie provides.  Carnegie
intends to publish in prominent venues the ideas and plans that arise from
this 3-year initiative.  I think our participation will give us a chance to
explore in a thoughtful way how to position ourselves best for doctoral
training in neuroscience, and also provide additional exposure nationally.

The press release is attached, along with the list of all participating
institutions.  The Executive Committee will be discussing the initiative
soon, so please send me any comments or questions you might have on this.

Gene

Gene E. Robinson
G. William Arends Professor of Integrative Biology
Department of Entomology
Director, Neuroscience Program
University of Illinois
505 S. Goodwin Ave.Urbana, IL  61801
Tel. 217-265-0309
FAX 217-244-3499
generobi@life.uiuc.edu
Web Site: http://www.life.uiuc.edu/robinson/
<http://www.life.uiuc.edu/robinson/>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C37BE6.94F7ACE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D747060700-16092003><FONT face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff>Gene,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D747060700-16092003>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
face=3DArial=20
color=3D#0000ff>Full marks to you and your colleagues. =
</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN=20
class=3D747060700-16092003>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
<FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff>Richard</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader lang=3Den-us dir=3Dltr =
align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
Gene Robinson=20
  [mailto:generobi@life.uiuc.edu] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Monday, September =
15, 2003=20
  2:49 PM<BR><B>To:</B> NSPFAC@life.uiuc.edu; =
neuropostdocs@life.uiuc.edu;=20
  NSPSTU@life.uiuc.edu<BR><B>Cc:</B> j-delia@uiuc.edu;=20
  rhh@uiuc.edu<BR><B>Subject:</B> Carnegie Foundation Press=20
  Release<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>Exciting news!&nbsp; We were chosen by =
the=20
  Carnegie Foundation to participate in an initiative that explores =
innovation=20
  in doctoral training in several disciplines, including =
neuroscience.&nbsp; We=20
  will soon assemble a group to spearhead this effort on our campus and =
forge=20
  ties with the other groups and the Carnegie Foundation.&nbsp; The =
Provost was=20
  pleased to hear that we were selected and is giving us extra funding =
this year=20
  to use towards this effort, in addition to travel support that =
Carnegie=20
  provides.&nbsp; Carnegie intends to publish in prominent venues the =
ideas and=20
  plans that arise from this 3-year initiative.&nbsp; I think our =
participation=20
  will give us a chance to explore in a thoughtful way how to position =
ourselves=20
  best for doctoral training in neuroscience, and also provide =
additional=20
  exposure nationally.<BR><BR>The press release is attached, along with =
the list=20
  of all participating institutions.&nbsp; The Executive Committee will =
be=20
  discussing the initiative soon, so please send me any comments or =
questions=20
  you might have on this. <BR><BR>Gene<BR><BR><FONT face=3DTahoma>Gene =
E.=20
  Robinson<BR>G. William Arends Professor of Integrative =
Biology<BR>Department=20
  of Entomology<BR>Director, Neuroscience Program<BR>University of=20
  Illinois<BR>505 S. Goodwin Ave.Urbana, IL&nbsp; 61801<BR>Tel.=20
  217-265-0309<BR>FAX 217-244-3499<BR>generobi@life.uiuc.edu<BR>Web =
Site: <A=20
  href=3D"http://www.life.uiuc.edu/robinson/"=20
  eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.life.uiuc.edu/robinson/</A></FONT>=20